Seasons are changing, hello hurricane and rain season! Here in Florida, where it seems like most of the year IS the rainy season, we often forget or don’t take the proper steps to protect your property from water damage regarding issues with your roof. Regular inspections of your roof offset any expensive issues that could rise into much larger expenses and problems in the future. To protect your roof from the rain, below are the top 7 roof maintenance tips that you can implement during the rainy season in Tampa Bay or throughout Florida.
1. Check on your roof manually bi-annually.
It’s vital to check your roof at least once every six months. If you notice any of the below, you must make sure to fix them before the storm season arrives.
- Examine the roof looking for signs of aging, damage, and sagging.
- Inspect the waterproofing of the roof, waterproofing paint is most commonly used.
- Replace any damaged mortar joints immediately to keep away from moisture leaks inside your building that can deteriorate ceilings or walls.
- Inspect your roof area with a sliding incline and be sure that the flashings are free of holes & rust stains.
- Look for cracks along the ridge of your roof and along the parapet walls.
- Check for missing, loose or slanted tiles and any cracks in the chimney.
- If the issue seems larger and requires further inspection, you must hire a professional roofing company.
2. Keep your gutters clean and clear of leaves.
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – keep your gutter clean! The gutter plays a vital part in your building’s roofing system. It evacuates and collects the water that settles on the roof. It also removes water from the foundation of the building to protect the exterior surfaces preventing unwanted water from entering. If water enters the woodwork it will slowly start to deteriorate. Mold will start to grow, and masonry will erode. These wet patches spread quickly, and can even cause major health issues.
- Check if the drains outside your home are leaking or damaged.
- Make sure there are not many small particles accumulating in the gutters and the downspouts. The search for granules is a good indicator that the coating of your roof must be closed and painted.
- Be sure you don’t have downspout ceilings.
- You can also use a cleaning utensil or a small handheld tool with a flat pointed blade to remove any debris that can clog your gutters.
3. Keep your yard and trees trimmed and clean.
This is often overlooked, but it’s important to remember. Start cleaning your yard by eliminating any overgrown branches or foliage. There are higher chances of blockages and gutter issues due to debris that might be stuck in between the path of passing water. This can diminish the possibility of debris falling onto your building during rain, storm, or wind. Doing so will help keep your building safe from pests and other diseases they might carry.
4. Repair your roof portholes
What are portholes? Portholes are the water passageway, and you must make sure they’re in place and well kept. If they are not well-maintained, it can cause water to seep through the cracks and enter your home. If not properly sealed, it could drag expensive heating into your property. This will inevitably lead to an increase in your energy bills.
5. Use water-proof paint
Roofs protect us from rain, snow, thunder, UV radiation, and scorching heat. Since your roof is exposed to harsh weather conditions, water easily collects on the surface, which results in leaks and wet spots on the interior that could lead to mold and water damage. Having roof painting options with sealants will help tremendously, but make sure you only apply the paint during clear weather.
Hire a Professional Tampa Roofing Contractor
Proper roof maintenance before any season is essential to shield the core of your home. No matter if it’s rainy, autumn, summer, or winter season, mother nature can cause issues in your roofing system. If your issues seem too large to handle on your own, then it’s best to hire a professional roofer to take a look at your roof. Our Tampa roofing contractors will find out whether there are any shingles, structural problems, leaks, flashing, skylights or other damage which must be taken care of, especially during the rainy season in 2022 and beyond!
If you’re ready to replace your roof and are looking for the best roofing contractor in Tampa, give us a call today to schedule a free estimate! 813-962-7663.